Bishop Alexander Carter was founded in 2002 when the Sudbury Catholic District School Board recognized a need for Catholic education in the area. The school mascot, the Golden Gator, was selected by the parent council in 2002. The school was named after Bishop Alexander Carter who was born in Montreal on April 16th , 1909 and was ordained a priest in 1936. He obtained a degree in Canon Law in Rome in 1939 and served his archdiocese in many capacities. In 1956, he was named Coadjutor to Bishop Dignan of Sault Ste. Marie diocese and succeeded him the following year. He was Bishop of Sault Ste. Marie until his retirement in 1985. In 1989 he was made an Officer of the Order of Canada. He passed away in 2002.